Small Business Communication Strategy in Facing Crisis
Keywords:crisis, micro-enterprise, product diversification, communication model Lasswell
AbstractCrisis due to the Covid-19 pandemic has caused a worldwide crisis. Various sectors of life are affected by this crisis, including small businesses. This research reveals how the producer of Batik "Dewi Kunthi" Sleman, Yogyakarta, which is a micro-enterprise, survives the crisis. Researchers used qualitative methods by digging data in depth from critical sources, making observations, and looking for relevant literature. This research used Paul Argenti's concept in overcoming crises and Harold Lasswell's Model of Communication. The results showed that the group experienced frustration when hit by a crisis. None of the consumers bought their product, and the production process stopped for nearly two months. However, they seemed to have the toughness to face a crisis. They not only used the steps suggested by Argenti in dealing with the crisis but also went beyond it. Dewi Kunthi Batik Group diversifies its products and intensifies communication both internally and externally.
Arbar, Thea Fathanah, 3 Maret 2020, Negara-negara Ini Resesi karena Corona, CNBC Indonesia, https://www.cnbcindonesia.com/news/20200803111313-4-177044/negara-negara-ini-resesi-karena-corona
Argenti, Paul, 13 Maret 2020, Communicating Through the Coronavirus Crisis, Harvard Business Review, https://hbr.org/2020/03/communicating-through-the-coronavirus-crisis
Bahtiar, Rais Agil, Juli Panglima Saragih, Dampak Covid-19 Terhadap Perlambatan Ekonomi Sektor Umkm, Kajian Singkat Terhadap Isu Aktual Dan Strategis, Bidang Ekonomi Dan Kebijakan Publik, Pusat Penelitian Badan Keahlian DPR RI, Vol. XII, No.6/II/Puslit/Maret/2020
Hamidovic, Haris, Volume 5, 2012, An Introduction to Crisis Management, ISACA JOURNAL, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/254864017
Haryanti, Dewi Meisari, Isniati Hidayah, 2018, Potret UMKM Indonesia: Si Kecil yang Berperan Besar, UKM INDONESIA, https://www.ukmindonesia.id/baca-artikel/62
Lemert, James, Status Conferral and Topic Scope, Journal of Communication, Volume 19, Issue 1, March 1969, published 2006, https://academic.oup.com/joc/article-abstract/19/1/4/4560868?redirectedFrom=fulltext
Moleong, Lexy, J. 2014. Metode Penelitian Kualitatif. Bandung : Remaja Rosdakarya
Mubyarto, 2001, Mengatasi Krisis Moneter Melalui Penguatan Ekonomi Rakyat, Jurnal Ekonomi dan Bisnis Indonesia Vol. 16, No. 2, , 97 - 110
Sapienza, Zachary S., Iyer, Narayanan, Veenstra S. Aaron, 2015 Reading Lasswell’s Model of Communication Backward: Three Scholarly Misconceptions, Mass Communication and Society, Routledge, 18:599–622,
Sapriel, Caroline, 2003Effective crisis management: Tools and best practice for the new Millennium, Journal of Communication Management, Henry Stewart Publications 1363–254X Vol. 7, 4
Seran, Etni Debora S. Arie J. Rorong, Very Y. Londa, 2017, Pengaruh Pemberdayaan Usaha Kecil Dan Menengah Terhadap Kesejahteraan Masyarakat Di Kecamatan Tompaso Barat Kabupaten Minahasa, Jurnal Administrasi Publik, Volume 3 No 046, https://ejournal.unsrat.ac.id/index.php/JAP/article/view/16473/0
Sugiyono. 2017. Metode Penelitian Kuantitatif, Kualitatif dan R & D. Alfabeta, Bandung
Thomas, Vincent Fabian, Moody’s Prediksi Ekonomi Indonesia Melambat di 4,8% Akibat Corona, Tirto.id, 9 Maret 2020, https://tirto.id/moodys-prediksi-ekonomi-indonesia-melambat-di-48-akibat-corona-eDPW
1. Author and Manuscript
- The author whose name appear in the above statement is declaring that he/she is the author of the stated manuscript
- All of the authors, if any, has already aware of this agreement and give consent for the mentioned name to act on their behalf
- The author stated that the manuscript is original and has never been published elsewhere.
- The author has obtained permissions from other contributors, if any
- The author has specifically mentioned and cited all external materials properly
- Note: External materials refers to any material, writings, figures, tables, illustrations, or any other materials which is not being produced, made, or patented by the author
- The author holds the sole responsible should there are any mistyping; unclear citation and holds responsible should there are any inappropriate manners such as unlawful, breaches, obscene, or any other reasons which are not aligned with the law and norm.
3. Deliverable of Manuscript and Other Materials
- The Contributor/Author shall deliver their manuscript using the provided and acceptable format (doc. Or docx) in the assigned date as well as author copyright document signed.
- Inability delivering the manuscript in the stated date and format will affecting the publication process thus, The Publisher have the rights to reject the manuscript and terminate the letter of acceptance or letter of offerings
- Author is responsible to deliver the manuscript using the provided format. Note: All of the figures, tables, illustrations, or any other materials that will be inserted in the manuscript need to be in high quality
- Should the author decided to alter the manuscript format, the fee will be charged and bore by authors
The Author give “Yayasan Sinergi Riset dan Edukasi” (here forth known as RSF Press) the unlimited right to publish the contribution identified above, without any restraints, in any form, at any time, directly or through others, to reproduce, transmit, archive, lease/lend, sell and distribute the contribution or parts thereof individually or together with other works in any language, revision and version (digital and hard), including reprints, translations, photographic reproductions, microform, audiograms, videograms, electronic form (offline, online), or any other reproductions of similar nature, including publication in the aforementioned book or any other book, as well as, the usage for advertising purposes. RSF Press will ensure that the Author’s name(s) is/are always clearly associated with the manuscript, and the publishers will not make any substantial change to the manuscript without consulting the author and ask for their consent. RSF Press is also entitled to carry out editorial changes in the contribution with the sole purpose of enhancing the overall organization and form of the contribution.
The Author retains the rights to publish the contribution in his/her own web site and thesis, in his/her employer’s web site and to publish a similar or revised version elsewhere, as long as it is clearly stated that the contribution was presented first RSF Press and the corresponding DOI is associated with the contribution.