Content Analysis of the Controversy Over the Communication of Government Policies in Handling Covid-19 in Online Media
Keywords:Policy communication, Online Media, COVID-19
AbstractThe Coronavirus (Covid-19) has hit almost all countries in the world. Cases of Covid-19 sufferers continue to grow. The impacts are also multidimensional, from economic to social. It is not easy for governments to deal with this global spreading pandemic. During the Covid-19 epidemic, controversy arose in the public space regarding government discourse and policies in dealing with Corona and its effects. These various controversies occurred due to the inadequate public understanding of the policies for handling Covid 19. The government is considered stuttering in responding to the situation and shows a failure to deliver good communication to the public. The research problem's formulation is: What is the content of controversy and polemic over government policies in handling COVID-19 from March 2020 to May 2020 in online media. The research method used is quantitative with a content analysis approach. There are three policy contents analyzed, which are sourced from the three news media portals most accessed in Indonesia based on the Alexa website ranking. As a result, there are three main conclusions in this study. First, in communicating government policies, the president is still at the forefront of delivering systems. Second, the guidelines issued by the government are mostly macro policies dealing with the Covid-19 pandemic. Third, the impact resulting from government policies' communication on handling the Covid-19 epidemic has caused chiefly controversy.
Dipna Videlia Putsanra. (2020, January 19). Update Persebaran Coronavirus COVID-19 di Indonesia per 19 Maret - Tirto.ID. Tirto.Id. https://tirto.id/update-persebaran-coronavirus-covid-19-di-indonesia-per-19-maret-eGbq
Ealau, & Pewitt. (1973). Kebijakan Publik. Handal Niaga Pustaka.
Eriyanto (2011) Content Analysis Introduction to Methodology for Research in Communication and Other Social Sciences. Jakarta: Kencana Prenada Media.
Fisher, W. R. (1984). Narration as a Human Communication Paradigm: The Case of Public Moral Argument. Communication Monographs, 51(1), 1–22. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1080/03637758409390180
Kahn, J. S., & McIntosh, K. (2005). History and Recent Advances in Coronavirus Discovery. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, 24(11 SUPPL.), 223–227. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.inf.0000188166.17324.60
Nugroho, R. (2009). Public Policy. PT. Elex Media Kompitindo.
Peters, B. G. (2015). Advanced Introduction to Public Policy. Edward Elgar Publishing Limited.
Robert T. Craig. (2000). Communication In Encyclopedia of Rhetoric. Oxford University Press.
S., H. N., & Tangkilisan. (2003). Implementasi kebijakan publik: transformasi pikiran George Edwards. Lukman Offset YPAPI.
Setiawan, B. (1989). Metodologi Penelitian Komunikasi. Gama Press.
Suharto, E. (2014). Analisis Kebijakan Publik. Alfabeta.
Vincent Price. (1992). Communication Concepts 4: Public Opinion. CA: Sage.
William N. Dunn. (2003). Analisis Kebijakan Publik. Gadjah Mada University Press.
Winarno, B. (2007). Kebijakan Publik: Teori dan Proses. Media Pressindo.
Young, I. M. (2002). Inclusion and Democracy. Oxford University Press. https://doi.org/10.1093/0198297556.001.0001
1. Author and Manuscript
- The author whose name appear in the above statement is declaring that he/she is the author of the stated manuscript
- All of the authors, if any, has already aware of this agreement and give consent for the mentioned name to act on their behalf
- The author stated that the manuscript is original and has never been published elsewhere.
- The author has obtained permissions from other contributors, if any
- The author has specifically mentioned and cited all external materials properly
- Note: External materials refers to any material, writings, figures, tables, illustrations, or any other materials which is not being produced, made, or patented by the author
- The author holds the sole responsible should there are any mistyping; unclear citation and holds responsible should there are any inappropriate manners such as unlawful, breaches, obscene, or any other reasons which are not aligned with the law and norm.
3. Deliverable of Manuscript and Other Materials
- The Contributor/Author shall deliver their manuscript using the provided and acceptable format (doc. Or docx) in the assigned date as well as author copyright document signed.
- Inability delivering the manuscript in the stated date and format will affecting the publication process thus, The Publisher have the rights to reject the manuscript and terminate the letter of acceptance or letter of offerings
- Author is responsible to deliver the manuscript using the provided format. Note: All of the figures, tables, illustrations, or any other materials that will be inserted in the manuscript need to be in high quality
- Should the author decided to alter the manuscript format, the fee will be charged and bore by authors
The Author give “Yayasan Sinergi Riset dan Edukasi” (here forth known as RSF Press) the unlimited right to publish the contribution identified above, without any restraints, in any form, at any time, directly or through others, to reproduce, transmit, archive, lease/lend, sell and distribute the contribution or parts thereof individually or together with other works in any language, revision and version (digital and hard), including reprints, translations, photographic reproductions, microform, audiograms, videograms, electronic form (offline, online), or any other reproductions of similar nature, including publication in the aforementioned book or any other book, as well as, the usage for advertising purposes. RSF Press will ensure that the Author’s name(s) is/are always clearly associated with the manuscript, and the publishers will not make any substantial change to the manuscript without consulting the author and ask for their consent. RSF Press is also entitled to carry out editorial changes in the contribution with the sole purpose of enhancing the overall organization and form of the contribution.
The Author retains the rights to publish the contribution in his/her own web site and thesis, in his/her employer’s web site and to publish a similar or revised version elsewhere, as long as it is clearly stated that the contribution was presented first RSF Press and the corresponding DOI is associated with the contribution.