Study for the Key Success Factors of Female Direct Selling Business
Keywords:female entrepreneur, gender role, personality traits, erotic capital, direct selling business
AbstractThe purpose of this study is to understand the key factors which result in the success of female direct selling businesses. Investigate the reasons why women support most of their performance in the direct selling industry. According to the Taiwan Fair Trade Commission's 2018 direct selling industry survey report, the total direct selling of Taiwan in 2018 was 83.027 billion NTD, with a total of 3.0838 million distributors. There were 2.158 million female distributors, accounting for 3.083 million total distributors. It is a proportion of 69.99 percentage points, an increase of 1.67 percentage points compared with 2017. This proportion is also comparable to 74% of global distributors is female, calculated by the World Federation of Direct Selling Associations(WDSFA)! The number of female distributors is more than twice that of men. The proportion is getting higher and higher! In the literature review, issues such as “female enterpriser” related literature and “gender roles” and “personality traits," “erotic capital” in the “direct selling industry” have been used as the main resource axis for collecting relevant domestic and foreign literature. Based on the literature summary and the expression of the expert's intention, the expert questionnaire will be based on the professors and the female distributors who have been in the top direct selling companies in Taiwan for more than two years in 2018 to find indicators of success factors, and then use the Analytic Hierarchy Process Method (AHP) Design a general questionnaire. The general questionnaire is for the distributors in Taiwan. Expected to recover 100 copies in the web questionnaire, After obtaining the resources, it will be processed and analyzed. The research results show that the influence facets and factors may have: Female Entrepreneur, Gender roles, Personality Traits, and direct selling business. In particular, the female gender role play and erotic capital may have a greater impact on the results of operating the direct selling business. The study includes the following topics are understanding the background of the female direct selling entrepreneurs, explain the challenges and difficulties of female direct selling entrepreneurs, relevant resources related to female direct selling entrepreneurs and research on the key success factors of female direct selling business.Today, female entrepreneurs are very hard and required to play multiple roles. Between family and business, how do female entrepreneurs make a good performance? I hoped that through this study, key factors could be identified in order to minimize entrepreneurial risks and allocate resources effectively.
Alison Wolf ( 2015), THE XX FACTOR: How the Rise of Working Women Has Created a Far Less Equal World.
Browne, J., Moylan, T., & Scaife, A. (2004). Female entrepreneurs-out of the frying pan into the fire. Paper presented at the 27th ISBA Conference.
Catherine Hakim (2012). Honey Money: The Power of Erotic Capital. UK: Penguin.
Direct Selling Century (2019). Embrace her power. Taipei: Chuanzhi International Culture. Healthline (2020). What is the glass ceiling theory and effect ?. Retrieved June 16, 2020, from
Kao, Cheng-Shu, 1999, Boss's Wife: The Economic Activities and Social Significance of Taiwan's
Small and Medium-sized Enterprise "Boss's Wife," Taipei: Lianjing.
Lin Jin-nan (2017). Basic information about the direct selling industry. Taipei: Taiwan Industry
Lykourentzou, A. Antoniou, Y. Naudet, and S. P. Dow (2016). Personality matters: Balancing for
personality types leads to better outcomes for crowd teams, the 19th ACM Conference on
Computer-Supported Cooperative Work & Social Computing, pp. 260-273.
Philip Thomas Udo-Imeh (2015). Influence of Personality on the Buying Behaviour of Undergraduate Students in Universities in Cross River State, Nigeria, International Journal
of Marketing Studies, Vol. 7, No. 4 (2015).
Shalini Unnikrishnan and Roy Hanna (2019).The Trillion-Dollar Opportunity in Supporting Female Entrepreneurs by Shalini Unnikrishnan and Roy Hanna, Harvard Business Review, October 31, 2019.
Shepherd (1993). Building a Discipline of Communication, Journal of Communication, September 1993.
Visa/Logica Research (2019). Business Wire. Retrieved January 30, 2019, from https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190130005634/en/
WFDSA (2018). WFDSA Reports Record 2018. Retrieved June 18, 2019, from https://www.directsellingnews.com/wfdsa-reports-record-2018/
1. Author and Manuscript
- The author whose name appear in the above statement is declaring that he/she is the author of the stated manuscript
- All of the authors, if any, has already aware of this agreement and give consent for the mentioned name to act on their behalf
- The author stated that the manuscript is original and has never been published elsewhere.
- The author has obtained permissions from other contributors, if any
- The author has specifically mentioned and cited all external materials properly
- Note: External materials refers to any material, writings, figures, tables, illustrations, or any other materials which is not being produced, made, or patented by the author
- The author holds the sole responsible should there are any mistyping; unclear citation and holds responsible should there are any inappropriate manners such as unlawful, breaches, obscene, or any other reasons which are not aligned with the law and norm.
3. Deliverable of Manuscript and Other Materials
- The Contributor/Author shall deliver their manuscript using the provided and acceptable format (doc. Or docx) in the assigned date as well as author copyright document signed.
- Inability delivering the manuscript in the stated date and format will affecting the publication process thus, The Publisher have the rights to reject the manuscript and terminate the letter of acceptance or letter of offerings
- Author is responsible to deliver the manuscript using the provided format. Note: All of the figures, tables, illustrations, or any other materials that will be inserted in the manuscript need to be in high quality
- Should the author decided to alter the manuscript format, the fee will be charged and bore by authors
The Author give “Yayasan Sinergi Riset dan Edukasi” (here forth known as RSF Press) the unlimited right to publish the contribution identified above, without any restraints, in any form, at any time, directly or through others, to reproduce, transmit, archive, lease/lend, sell and distribute the contribution or parts thereof individually or together with other works in any language, revision and version (digital and hard), including reprints, translations, photographic reproductions, microform, audiograms, videograms, electronic form (offline, online), or any other reproductions of similar nature, including publication in the aforementioned book or any other book, as well as, the usage for advertising purposes. RSF Press will ensure that the Author’s name(s) is/are always clearly associated with the manuscript, and the publishers will not make any substantial change to the manuscript without consulting the author and ask for their consent. RSF Press is also entitled to carry out editorial changes in the contribution with the sole purpose of enhancing the overall organization and form of the contribution.
The Author retains the rights to publish the contribution in his/her own web site and thesis, in his/her employer’s web site and to publish a similar or revised version elsewhere, as long as it is clearly stated that the contribution was presented first RSF Press and the corresponding DOI is associated with the contribution.