Recycling Metal Waste Made From Aluminum into Ingots: Using the Melting Method with a Crucible Furnace (Lift Out
Keywords:Aluminum, Waste, Smelting, Flux
AbstractAluminum is one of the metal that is widely used for various purposes at this time ranging from use for packaging beverage cans to building construction, automotive, and transportation. Aluminum is widely used because of its toughness, lightweight and rust resistance. The number of uses of aluminum has an effect on the existence of its waste, which will also increase. Aluminum waste processing has been carried out using the melting method into aluminum ingots as raw material for the aluminum industry. Aluminum waste samples come from vehicle and automotive repair shops. A total of 1.5 kg of workshop waste is cut into sizes smaller than 7 cm and then melted separately for 500 grams, each using a crucible furnace (lift-out). The melting is carried out 3 times by varying the amount of flux entered, respectively 0%, 0.2%, and 0.4% w/w. The flux used in this smelting is Na2CO3(Borax). The melting process takes 20-30 minutes, and the temperature of the molten metal pouring is 697-715 oC. The results of the melting of the first 500 grams of waste without using flux resulted in 460.7 grams of ingot and 27.6 grams of melting dross. In melting using a flux of 0.2%, it produces 437.7 grams of ingots and 61.2 grams of dross. In melting using 0.4% flux, the ingot weight was 420.7 grams and dross weight 68.1 grams. The more use of flux in the aluminum waste recycling process using the melting method, giving the effect of weight loss ingot produced, and the increase in weight of dross is wasted. This is because the impurities in the ingot have bonded with the flux and migrated to the waste along with the dross.
Hadiwiyoto, S. (1983). Penanganan dan Pemanfaatan Sampah. Yayasan Idayu, Jakarta
Mubarak Amir Dzaky and Akhyar. (2013). Perancangan dan Pembuatan Dapur Peleburan Logam dengan Menggunakan Bahan Bakar Gas (LPG). Jurnal Teknik Mesin Unsyiah, volume 1, nomor 3
Muller Ulrich, (2011). Introduction to Structural Aluminium Design, North America, CRC Press LLC.
Nurjaman Fajar, Prillitasari N.M., Prasetyo Arif Eko, Nugroho Eko,. (2019). Pemanfaatan Limbah Industri Baja Sebagai Bahan Baku Pembuatan Logam Pig Iron: Peleburan Mill Scale Menggunakan Submerged Arc Furnace. Jurnal LIPI Metalurgi (2019) 1: 37 – 48
Perindustrian, D.J.I.L.M.A.T.D.E.K. (2015). Rencana Strategis Direktorat Jenderal Industri Logam Mesin Alat Transportasi Dan Elektronika. Kementerian Perindustrian Republik Indonesia.
Perindustrian, P.K.P.K. (2015). Rencana Induk Pembangunan Industri Nasional 2015 – 2035. Pusat Komunikasi Publik, Kementerian Perindustrian Republik Indonesia.
Rosyidah, Afifah dan Purwanti, Endang. 2015. Pemanfaatan Limbah Aluminium Sebagai Koagulan dalam Pengolahan Limbah Cair dan Penjernihan Air. Prosiding SEMATEKSOS 3"Strategi Pembangunan Nasional Menghadapi Revolusi Industri 4.0
Law of Republic Indonesia No.23, (1997) about Environmental Management, (Original title: Undang-undang No.23 Tahun 1997 tentang Pengelolaan Lingkungan Hidup).
Law of Republic Indonesia No.18, (2008) about waste management, (Original title: Undang-Undang No.18 tahun 2008 tentang pengelolaan sampah).
1. Author and Manuscript
- The author whose name appear in the above statement is declaring that he/she is the author of the stated manuscript
- All of the authors, if any, has already aware of this agreement and give consent for the mentioned name to act on their behalf
- The author stated that the manuscript is original and has never been published elsewhere.
- The author has obtained permissions from other contributors, if any
- The author has specifically mentioned and cited all external materials properly
- Note: External materials refers to any material, writings, figures, tables, illustrations, or any other materials which is not being produced, made, or patented by the author
- The author holds the sole responsible should there are any mistyping; unclear citation and holds responsible should there are any inappropriate manners such as unlawful, breaches, obscene, or any other reasons which are not aligned with the law and norm.
3. Deliverable of Manuscript and Other Materials
- The Contributor/Author shall deliver their manuscript using the provided and acceptable format (doc. Or docx) in the assigned date as well as author copyright document signed.
- Inability delivering the manuscript in the stated date and format will affecting the publication process thus, The Publisher have the rights to reject the manuscript and terminate the letter of acceptance or letter of offerings
- Author is responsible to deliver the manuscript using the provided format. Note: All of the figures, tables, illustrations, or any other materials that will be inserted in the manuscript need to be in high quality
- Should the author decided to alter the manuscript format, the fee will be charged and bore by authors
The Author give “Yayasan Sinergi Riset dan Edukasi” (here forth known as RSF Press) the unlimited right to publish the contribution identified above, without any restraints, in any form, at any time, directly or through others, to reproduce, transmit, archive, lease/lend, sell and distribute the contribution or parts thereof individually or together with other works in any language, revision and version (digital and hard), including reprints, translations, photographic reproductions, microform, audiograms, videograms, electronic form (offline, online), or any other reproductions of similar nature, including publication in the aforementioned book or any other book, as well as, the usage for advertising purposes. RSF Press will ensure that the Author’s name(s) is/are always clearly associated with the manuscript, and the publishers will not make any substantial change to the manuscript without consulting the author and ask for their consent. RSF Press is also entitled to carry out editorial changes in the contribution with the sole purpose of enhancing the overall organization and form of the contribution.
The Author retains the rights to publish the contribution in his/her own web site and thesis, in his/her employer’s web site and to publish a similar or revised version elsewhere, as long as it is clearly stated that the contribution was presented first RSF Press and the corresponding DOI is associated with the contribution.