The Effects of VICOIL Bopanprog Usage as a Substitute for Crude Oil for Oil-Based Drilling Fluids
Keywords:Oil Base Mud, VICOIL, Shale
AbstractThe use of water-based mud often faces some difficulties in dealing with shale zones, which can cause shale problems. Oil-based mud has better performance than water based mud in overcoming shale problems. However, oil-base mud can cause unfavorable environmental impacts, and it is more costly than water base mud. Various efforts were made to find oil base mud materials that are environmentally friendly and do not cost too much money but still function as a standard oil-base mud with all its advantages compared to water-based mud. Oil-based mud by using VICOIL Bopanprog as its liquid phase is expected to be a substitute material for oil-based mud. The first test is to analyze the shale content of the cutting samples, which will be tested on the designed mud by using MBT and XRD. From the results of these tests, we can find out the potential shale problems that will occur. Then we can determine the correct mud composition to prevent the shale problem from happening. To determine the physical and rheological properties of the designed mud, tests are carried out in the laboratory. After meeting the testing standards, the mud filtrate is tested to the cutting sample that has been analyzed at the beginning to determine its performance in overcoming shale problems. From the research results, the use of VICOIL Bopanprog oil-based mud has met the normal oil base mud standard, and it is able to overcome clay swelling caused by smectite and illite minerals from the tested cutting samples. However, in testing, the cutting samples also contain kaolinite minerals, which tend to cause sloughing problems. OBM VICOIL also has good mechanical, hydraulics, and or properties of drilling mud to prevent shale sloughing.
Adams, N. J., "Drilling Engineering, A Complete Well Planning Approach," Penn Well Pub. Co., Tusla, Oklahoma 1985.
American Petroleum Institute, "Specification for Drilling Fluids Specifications and Testing," Dallas, 2010.
Amoco Production Company (2001). Drilling Fluid manual. Palmer Publishers, Los Angeles
Annis, Max. R and Smith, Martin, "Drilling Fluid Technology: Revised Edition," Exxon Company, USA, 1974.
Baker Hughes (2006). Drilling Fluids Reference Manual. Houston, Texas.
Bourgoyne, A.T., Jr. et al., "Applied Drilling Engineering," SPE-1-55563-001-4, Richardson TX, 1986. Chapter 2, p. 54-61.
Chilingarian. G. V., and Voraburt. P., Drilling and Drilling Fluids, Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company, Amsterdam-Oxford-New York, 1981.
Lummus, J. L., "Drilling Fluids Optimization," Penn Well Publishing Co., Tulsa Oklahoma, 1986.
Rubiandini Rudi R.S. Dr. Ir., "Teknik Operasi Pemboran", Jurusan Teknik Perminyakan, ITB Bandung 2010.
Moore, P.L., "Drilling Practice Manual," Pennwell Publishing Co., Tulsa - Oklahoma, 1981.
Suhascaryo, Nur. KRT. Dr. Ir., "Proses Aktivasi dalam Peningkatan Kualitas VICOIL BOPANPROG Desa Bojong, Kecamatan Panjatan, Kabupaten Kulonprogo", Uwais Inspirasi Indonesia, DIY, 2019.
1. Author and Manuscript
- The author whose name appear in the above statement is declaring that he/she is the author of the stated manuscript
- All of the authors, if any, has already aware of this agreement and give consent for the mentioned name to act on their behalf
- The author stated that the manuscript is original and has never been published elsewhere.
- The author has obtained permissions from other contributors, if any
- The author has specifically mentioned and cited all external materials properly
- Note: External materials refers to any material, writings, figures, tables, illustrations, or any other materials which is not being produced, made, or patented by the author
- The author holds the sole responsible should there are any mistyping; unclear citation and holds responsible should there are any inappropriate manners such as unlawful, breaches, obscene, or any other reasons which are not aligned with the law and norm.
3. Deliverable of Manuscript and Other Materials
- The Contributor/Author shall deliver their manuscript using the provided and acceptable format (doc. Or docx) in the assigned date as well as author copyright document signed.
- Inability delivering the manuscript in the stated date and format will affecting the publication process thus, The Publisher have the rights to reject the manuscript and terminate the letter of acceptance or letter of offerings
- Author is responsible to deliver the manuscript using the provided format. Note: All of the figures, tables, illustrations, or any other materials that will be inserted in the manuscript need to be in high quality
- Should the author decided to alter the manuscript format, the fee will be charged and bore by authors
The Author give “Yayasan Sinergi Riset dan Edukasi” (here forth known as RSF Press) the unlimited right to publish the contribution identified above, without any restraints, in any form, at any time, directly or through others, to reproduce, transmit, archive, lease/lend, sell and distribute the contribution or parts thereof individually or together with other works in any language, revision and version (digital and hard), including reprints, translations, photographic reproductions, microform, audiograms, videograms, electronic form (offline, online), or any other reproductions of similar nature, including publication in the aforementioned book or any other book, as well as, the usage for advertising purposes. RSF Press will ensure that the Author’s name(s) is/are always clearly associated with the manuscript, and the publishers will not make any substantial change to the manuscript without consulting the author and ask for their consent. RSF Press is also entitled to carry out editorial changes in the contribution with the sole purpose of enhancing the overall organization and form of the contribution.
The Author retains the rights to publish the contribution in his/her own web site and thesis, in his/her employer’s web site and to publish a similar or revised version elsewhere, as long as it is clearly stated that the contribution was presented first RSF Press and the corresponding DOI is associated with the contribution.