Extraction of Silica from Kalirejo Minerals, Kokap, Kulonprogo, Yogyakarta
Keywords:extraction, silica, particle size, NaOH
AbstractIn the industrial world, silica is widely used, such as in the tire, rubber, glass, cement, concrete, ceramics, textiles, paper, cosmetics, electronics, paint, film, toothpaste, healthcare, and other industries. The commercial value of silica determinant by its purity. In this study, silica extraction from minerals taken from the Kokap area, Kulonprogo, was carried out. The extraction of silica from minerals aims to increase silica content. In this research, the effect of NaOH concentration and particle size in silica extraction from minerals was studied. The variation in particle size is 100 mesh and 150 mesh, while the variation in NaOH concentration is from 0.5 N to 5 N with a difference in concentration of 0.5 N. The product of this research is silica gel. The experimental results show that the greater the NaOH concentration, the greater the silica that can be extracted. When viewed from the particle size, a smaller particle size results in a larger conversion. The largest extract was obtained at a particle size of 150 mesh with a concentration of NaOH 5 N, which is 4.73 grams of silica gel or 1.6979 grams of silica.
Bragmann, C.Pand Goncalves, M.R.F.2006. Thermal Insulators Made With Rice Husk Ashes: Production and Correlation Between Properties and Microstructure. Department of materials, school of engineering, federal university of Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil.
Brindley, G.W, and Brown, G 1980.Crystal Structures of Clay Minerals and Their X-Ray Identification. Mineralogical Society. No. 5,pp.312-316, 378380.
Castro, M. D. L., and Capote F. P., 2006. "Techniques and Instrumentation in Analytical Chemistry." Analytical Applications of Ultrasound. 26, 99-137.
CetinKurt,JürgenBittner(2005),"SodiumHydroxide", Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry,Weinheim:
Fahmiati, Nuryono dan Narsito, 2004, Kajian Kinetika Adsorpsi Cd(II), Ni(II) dan Mg(II) pada Silika Gel Termodifikasi 3-Merkapto-1,2,4-triazol, Alchemy, 3(2),22-28
Georgiadis, A., Daniela Sauer, JörnBeuer, LudgerHemann, ThiloRinert and Karl Stahr, 2015, Optimising the extraction of amorphous silica by NaOH from soils of temperature- humid climate, Soil Research, 53, 392-400
Hara. 1986. Utilization of Agrowastes for Building Materials. International Research and Development Corporation Division. Tokyo. Japan
Iler, R.K., 1979. Silica gels and powders. In: The Chemistry of Silica. John Wiley and Sons, New York. pp. 462–599
Laksminta Prima Santi, Joko Mulyanto dan Didiek Hadjar Goenadi, 2017, Double Acid-Base Extraction of Silica acid from Quartz Sand, Journal Mineral and Material Characterization and Engineering, 5, 362-373
Lucas, Howard J, David Pressman. 1949. Principles and Practice In Organic Chemistry. New York: John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
K. G. Patel, N. M. Misra, dan R. R. Shetiggar. Preparation and Characterization Of Silica Gel From Wheat Straw. Journal of Chemical Engginering and Application. (October 2016), Vol. 7, No. 5
Kirk, R.E., and Othmer. 1984. Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology, Fourth Edition Vol. 21.
John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York.
1. Author and Manuscript
- The author whose name appear in the above statement is declaring that he/she is the author of the stated manuscript
- All of the authors, if any, has already aware of this agreement and give consent for the mentioned name to act on their behalf
- The author stated that the manuscript is original and has never been published elsewhere.
- The author has obtained permissions from other contributors, if any
- The author has specifically mentioned and cited all external materials properly
- Note: External materials refers to any material, writings, figures, tables, illustrations, or any other materials which is not being produced, made, or patented by the author
- The author holds the sole responsible should there are any mistyping; unclear citation and holds responsible should there are any inappropriate manners such as unlawful, breaches, obscene, or any other reasons which are not aligned with the law and norm.
3. Deliverable of Manuscript and Other Materials
- The Contributor/Author shall deliver their manuscript using the provided and acceptable format (doc. Or docx) in the assigned date as well as author copyright document signed.
- Inability delivering the manuscript in the stated date and format will affecting the publication process thus, The Publisher have the rights to reject the manuscript and terminate the letter of acceptance or letter of offerings
- Author is responsible to deliver the manuscript using the provided format. Note: All of the figures, tables, illustrations, or any other materials that will be inserted in the manuscript need to be in high quality
- Should the author decided to alter the manuscript format, the fee will be charged and bore by authors
The Author give “Yayasan Sinergi Riset dan Edukasi” (here forth known as RSF Press) the unlimited right to publish the contribution identified above, without any restraints, in any form, at any time, directly or through others, to reproduce, transmit, archive, lease/lend, sell and distribute the contribution or parts thereof individually or together with other works in any language, revision and version (digital and hard), including reprints, translations, photographic reproductions, microform, audiograms, videograms, electronic form (offline, online), or any other reproductions of similar nature, including publication in the aforementioned book or any other book, as well as, the usage for advertising purposes. RSF Press will ensure that the Author’s name(s) is/are always clearly associated with the manuscript, and the publishers will not make any substantial change to the manuscript without consulting the author and ask for their consent. RSF Press is also entitled to carry out editorial changes in the contribution with the sole purpose of enhancing the overall organization and form of the contribution.
The Author retains the rights to publish the contribution in his/her own web site and thesis, in his/her employer’s web site and to publish a similar or revised version elsewhere, as long as it is clearly stated that the contribution was presented first RSF Press and the corresponding DOI is associated with the contribution.