3D Print Parameter Optimization: A Literature Review
Keywords:3D Print, FDM, Parameter, Optimization
Abstract3D printing technology is developing very fast. One of the technologies that are often encountered is Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM). FDM technology has many advantages, such as easy maintenance, not easily damaged, easy to operate, relatively safer, and relatively cheaper. Much researches on the optimization of the FDM process have been carried out. There is a need to map research results regarding process optimization and the results of FDM technology so that it can provide research opportunities for other researchers to develop this technology. For this reason, this study aims to map the results of research that has been carried out regarding the optimization of the 3D printing process, especially FDM technology. This study uses a qualitative method, namely, a literature review. According to technology and year of publication, some literature is selected to provide relevant and up-to-date results. Based on the literature review that has been done, some process parameters are used along with the desired response variables.
Camposeco-Negrete, C. (2020) 'Optimization of FDM parameters for improving part quality, productivity, and sustainability of the process using Taguchi methodology and desirability approach,' Progress in Additive Manufacturing. DOI: 10.1007/s40964-020-00115-9.
Chohan, J. S., and Singh, R. (2017) 'Pre and post-processing techniques to improve surface characteristics of FDM parts: A state of the art review and future applications,' Rapid Prototyping Journal. DOI: 10.1108/RPJ-05-2015-0059.
Dey, A., Hoffman, D., and Yodo, N. (2020) 'Optimizing multiple process parameters in fused deposition modeling with particle swarm optimization,' International Journal on Interactive Design and Manufacturing. DOI: 10.1007/s12008-019-00637-9.
Nancharaiah, T. et al. (2010) 'An experimental investigation on surface quality and dimensional accuracy of FDM components,' International Journal on Emerging Technologies.
Petrovic, V. et al. (2011) 'Additive layered manufacturing: Sectors of industrial application shown through case studies,' International Journal of Production Research. DOI: 10.1080/00207540903479786.
Radhwan, H. et al. (2019) ‘Optimization parameter effects on the quality surface finish of the three-dimensional printing (3D-printing) fused deposition modeling (FDM) using RSM’, in AIP Conference Proceedings. DOI: 10.1063/1.5118163.
Rinanto, A. et al. (2018) 'Simultaneous Optimization of tensile strength, Energy Consumption and Processing Time on FDM Process Using Taguchi and PCR-TOPSIS,' in Proceedings - 2018 4th International Conference on Science and Technology, ICST 2018. DOI: 10.1109/ICSTC.2018.8528667.
Saad, M. S. et al. (2019) ‘Optimization of surface roughness in FDM 3D printer using response surface methodology, particle swarm optimization, and symbiotic organism search algorithms’, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. DOI: 10.1007/s00170-019-04568-3.
Sharma, M., Sharma, V. and Kala, P. (2019) 'Optimization of process variables to improve the mechanical properties of FDM structures,' in Journal of Physics: Conference Series. Doi: 10.1088/1742-6596/1240/1/012061.
Wankhede, V. et al. (2019) 'Experimental investigation of FDM process parameters using Taguchi analysis,' in Materials Today: Proceedings. DOI: 10.1016/j.matpr.2019.09.078.
Yadav, D. et al. (2020) ‘Optimization of FDM 3D printing process parameters for multi-material using artificial neural network’, in Materials Today: Proceedings. DOI: 10.1016/j.matpr.2019.11.225.
Yang, L. et al. (2019) ‘Experimental Investigations for Optimizing the Extrusion Parameters on FDM PLA Printed Parts’, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance. DOI: 10.1007/s11665-018-3784-x.
Zaman, U. K. uz et al. (2019) 'Impact of fused deposition modeling (FDM) process parameters on the strength of built parts using Taguchi's design of experiments,' International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. DOI: 10.1007/s00170-018-3014-6.
1. Author and Manuscript
- The author whose name appear in the above statement is declaring that he/she is the author of the stated manuscript
- All of the authors, if any, has already aware of this agreement and give consent for the mentioned name to act on their behalf
- The author stated that the manuscript is original and has never been published elsewhere.
- The author has obtained permissions from other contributors, if any
- The author has specifically mentioned and cited all external materials properly
- Note: External materials refers to any material, writings, figures, tables, illustrations, or any other materials which is not being produced, made, or patented by the author
- The author holds the sole responsible should there are any mistyping; unclear citation and holds responsible should there are any inappropriate manners such as unlawful, breaches, obscene, or any other reasons which are not aligned with the law and norm.
3. Deliverable of Manuscript and Other Materials
- The Contributor/Author shall deliver their manuscript using the provided and acceptable format (doc. Or docx) in the assigned date as well as author copyright document signed.
- Inability delivering the manuscript in the stated date and format will affecting the publication process thus, The Publisher have the rights to reject the manuscript and terminate the letter of acceptance or letter of offerings
- Author is responsible to deliver the manuscript using the provided format. Note: All of the figures, tables, illustrations, or any other materials that will be inserted in the manuscript need to be in high quality
- Should the author decided to alter the manuscript format, the fee will be charged and bore by authors
The Author give “Yayasan Sinergi Riset dan Edukasi” (here forth known as RSF Press) the unlimited right to publish the contribution identified above, without any restraints, in any form, at any time, directly or through others, to reproduce, transmit, archive, lease/lend, sell and distribute the contribution or parts thereof individually or together with other works in any language, revision and version (digital and hard), including reprints, translations, photographic reproductions, microform, audiograms, videograms, electronic form (offline, online), or any other reproductions of similar nature, including publication in the aforementioned book or any other book, as well as, the usage for advertising purposes. RSF Press will ensure that the Author’s name(s) is/are always clearly associated with the manuscript, and the publishers will not make any substantial change to the manuscript without consulting the author and ask for their consent. RSF Press is also entitled to carry out editorial changes in the contribution with the sole purpose of enhancing the overall organization and form of the contribution.
The Author retains the rights to publish the contribution in his/her own web site and thesis, in his/her employer’s web site and to publish a similar or revised version elsewhere, as long as it is clearly stated that the contribution was presented first RSF Press and the corresponding DOI is associated with the contribution.