Determinants of Economic Growth in ASEAN-4 Countries (Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, and Thailand)
Keywords:economic growth, monetary policy, international trade, panel data.
AbstractA country that is successful in its economy is a country that has succeeded in rapidly encouraging the existence of international trade and maintaining the monetary policy in an increasingly integrated world economy. This study intends to evaluate the effect of monetary policy and international trade on economic growth in four ASEAN countries (Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, and Thailand), 2008 quarter I to 2019 quarter IV. By using panel data analysis, the results show that monetary policy with the instrument of interest rate policy has a negative effect on economic growth. An expansive monetary policy has effectively accelerated economic growth, while international trade is not driving economic growth in ASEAN-4 countries.
Albu, LL (2006). Trends in the Interest Rate - Investment - GDP Growth Relationship. Romanian Journal of Economic Forecasting, 3, 5-13.
Arslan, Y. et al. (2019). How Has Globalization Affected Emerging Market Economies? BIS Papers, 100, 27-55.
Aziz, MD. Nusrate (2010). Exchange Rates, International Trade, and Inflation: A Developing Economy Perspective. Thesis. Department of Economics School of Business, The University of Birmingham.
Bank Indonesia (2019). Economic and Financial Statistics of Indonesia. Central Bank of Indonesia. Jakarta.
Elias, IA, et.al (2018). Impact of International Trade on the Economic Growth of Nigeria. European Journal of Business and Management, 10 (18), 22-30.
Fitriani, E. (2019). Analysis of the Influence of International Trade on Indonesia's Economic Growth. Journal of Business Research and Management, 18-26.
Greene, William H. (2005). Econometric Analysis. Fourth Edition. Prentice-Hall, Inc.
Gujarati, Damodar N & Dawn C Porter (2009). Basic Econometrics. 5th Edition. McGraw-Hill, Singapore.
Gujarati, Damodar N. (2012). Econometrics by Examples. Palgrave Macmillan, New York.
Hasoloan, J. (2013). The Role of International Trade in Productivity and the Economy. Edunomic: 102-112.
Herlina, D. (2013). Identification of Monetary Policy Transmission Mechanisms for 2000-2011. Journal of Performance. Volume 17. No.2: 158-173.
Imoisi, A.I. (2018), Does Monetary Policy Induce Economic Growth? An Empirical Evaluation of the Nigerian Economy. Socialsci Journal, 1(2): 78-94
Keho, Y. (2017). The Impact of Trade Openness on Economic Growth: The Case of Cote d'Ivoire. Cogent Economics & Finance, 5:1-14.
Krugman, P. (2011). International Economics: Theory and Policy. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall.
Mahendra, A. (2008). Analysis of Monetary Policy and Its Impact on Indonesia's Economic Growth. Thesis. The University of Northern Sumatra.
Mankiw, N.G. (2010). Macroeconomics. Seventh Edition. Worth Publishers.
Maslan J (2017). The Effectiveness of the Monetary Policy Transmission Mechanism in Indonesia through the Interest Rate Channel. Scientific Journal of Cohesion. Vol. 1 No. 1.
Mishkin, FS (2010). The Economic of Money, Banking, and Financial Markets. Boston: Pearson Education, Inc.
Mogoe, S. & Mongale, IP (2014). The Impact of International Trade on Economic Growth in South Africa: An Econometric Analysis. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 5 (14), 60-66.
Moyo, et al. (2017). The Relationship between Trade Openness and Economic Growth: The Case of Ghana and Nigeria. MPRA Paper, 81317.
Obamuyi, TM (2009). An Investigation of the Relationship between Interest Rates and Economic Growth in Nigeria, 1970 - 2006. Journal of Economics and International Finance, 1 (4), 93-98.
Onyeiwu, C. (2012). Monetary Policy and Economic Growth of Nigeria. Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development, pp: 62-73.
Rodriguez, F. & Rodrik, D. (2001). Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Skeptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence. NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2000, 15, 261-338.
Salvatore, Dominick (2007). International Economics. 9th Edition. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Samimi, MN (2011). The Impact of Monetary Policy on Economic Growth in Iran. Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research. Pp: 740-743.
Seprillina L. (2013). Effectiveness of Monetary Policy Instruments on Economic Growth in Indonesia (Period 1999:1-2012:2). Scientific Journal. Brawijaya University.
Solomon, R. (2007). The Role of International Trade as One of the Sources of Indonesia's Economic Growth. Module. Department of Commerce of the Republic of Indonesia and Postgraduate Program of Economic Sciences Indonesia University.
Sukirno, S. (2015). Modern Macroeconomics: The Development of Thought from Classical to New Keynesian. Jakarta: PT. Raja Grafindo.
Sun, P. & Heshmati, A. (2010). International Trade and its Effects on Economic Growth in China. IZA Discussion Paper, 5151.
Warjiyo, P. & Solikin MJ (2016). Central Bank Policy: Theory and Practice. PT. Raja Grafindo Persada, Jakarta
Widarjono, A. (2018). Introductory Econometrics and Its Applications Accompanied by the Eviews Guide. Yogyakarta: UPP STIM YKPN.
1. Author and Manuscript
- The author whose name appear in the above statement is declaring that he/she is the author of the stated manuscript
- All of the authors, if any, has already aware of this agreement and give consent for the mentioned name to act on their behalf
- The author stated that the manuscript is original and has never been published elsewhere.
- The author has obtained permissions from other contributors, if any
- The author has specifically mentioned and cited all external materials properly
- Note: External materials refers to any material, writings, figures, tables, illustrations, or any other materials which is not being produced, made, or patented by the author
- The author holds the sole responsible should there are any mistyping; unclear citation and holds responsible should there are any inappropriate manners such as unlawful, breaches, obscene, or any other reasons which are not aligned with the law and norm.
3. Deliverable of Manuscript and Other Materials
- The Contributor/Author shall deliver their manuscript using the provided and acceptable format (doc. Or docx) in the assigned date as well as author copyright document signed.
- Inability delivering the manuscript in the stated date and format will affecting the publication process thus, The Publisher have the rights to reject the manuscript and terminate the letter of acceptance or letter of offerings
- Author is responsible to deliver the manuscript using the provided format. Note: All of the figures, tables, illustrations, or any other materials that will be inserted in the manuscript need to be in high quality
- Should the author decided to alter the manuscript format, the fee will be charged and bore by authors
The Author give “Yayasan Sinergi Riset dan Edukasi” (here forth known as RSF Press) the unlimited right to publish the contribution identified above, without any restraints, in any form, at any time, directly or through others, to reproduce, transmit, archive, lease/lend, sell and distribute the contribution or parts thereof individually or together with other works in any language, revision and version (digital and hard), including reprints, translations, photographic reproductions, microform, audiograms, videograms, electronic form (offline, online), or any other reproductions of similar nature, including publication in the aforementioned book or any other book, as well as, the usage for advertising purposes. RSF Press will ensure that the Author’s name(s) is/are always clearly associated with the manuscript, and the publishers will not make any substantial change to the manuscript without consulting the author and ask for their consent. RSF Press is also entitled to carry out editorial changes in the contribution with the sole purpose of enhancing the overall organization and form of the contribution.
The Author retains the rights to publish the contribution in his/her own web site and thesis, in his/her employer’s web site and to publish a similar or revised version elsewhere, as long as it is clearly stated that the contribution was presented first RSF Press and the corresponding DOI is associated with the contribution.